Volunteering at Tearmann
Share Your Special Talents and Skills
Volunteers are an important part of the Tearmann team. Your contribution as a volunteer allows us to provide the best service and support to our families.
Tearmann Volunteers receive approximately 6 hours of training in preparation for their volunteer roles. This training is often done in partnership with other community agencies (ie. The Life Shelter and The Help Line).
Some volunteer options may include:
- answering phones during in-house programs
- child care at the shelter
- teaching women to cook or similar life skills
- transportation for residents
- administrative tasks
- household maintenance
- assistance with special events
- grocery shopping
If you are interested in volunteering at Tearmann, please complete the volunteer application form at the bottom of this page.
Suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview if a position is available. Our agency does not discriminate and considers all volunteer applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, martial status, sexual orientation and disability.
Please note volunteers must be 18 years of age or older. Tearmann also requires a two year waiting period before considering former clients and/or previous victims of violence for a volunteer position.
Some of our Volunteer opportunities include:
- Child & Youth Activity Leaders
- Donation Sorting
- Shelter Care & Maintenance
- Direct Service Volunteers (crisis line assistance during team meetings)
- Board of Directors
Your Project or Idea
Are you looking to promote team building and have fun while supporting an organization that provides critical support services to women and children in need of safe and supportive emergency shelter? This is an opportunity to build and strengthen your team while making a difference beyond your walls.
Following are some ideas for groups:
- Host a food drive and help sort and organize food.
- Yard clean up (weeding and planting).
- Host a gift drive to collect back-to-school supplies, toiletries or participate in one of our Holiday Programs
- Sort in-kind donations and clean and organize donation rooms at Christmas.
- Organize an employee fundraiser at work
Group commitments are often for one event or one day and many groups make it an annual event with Tearmann.
To join the Board of Directors, you are asked to commit to a three-year term. Some conditions apply.
If you have any questions about volunteering at, please contact 902-752-1633 for more information or complete the application below and return it to:
Tearmann Society for Abused Women
P.O. B0x 153, New Glasgow, NS B2H 5E2