Board of Directors
Volunteer Board of Directors
The Tearmann Society Board
- Tearmann Society By-laws allow for 21 Board Members. Included in the Board are the Tearmann House Executive Director and a staff representative.
- The Board Executive Committee consists of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and Past Chair.
Current Committees in place:
Governance, Finance, Labour Management, Bursary, Special Events, Occupational Health & Safety, Human Resources, Policy & Procedures, Finance Oversight and Finance Operational Committees.
- Board members are expected to volunteer on one or more of the committees. This allows a person to choose areas of interest and expertise.
- The Board operates using the Complementary Model of Board Governance.
- The Board meets every third Wednesday September through June. There are no meetings in July, August & December. Meetings are held at the New Glasgow Police Station and are usually from 6pm-7pm.
- The committees meet on a separate basis monthly and send written reports to the Board prior to each monthly meeting.
New Board Members Receive:
- A Board Orientation Manual
- A tour of Tearmann House
- An Executive Director overview of Tearmann House background and current activities
- A review of how the Complementary Model works
New Board Members:
- Must belong to the Tearmann Society in order to become a Board member. This involves a nominal cost of $2.00 per annum
- Must sign a confidentiality agreement
- Agree to a police background check & vulnerable persons check
- Must sign a "Tearmann Society Code of Conduct for Board Members"
If you are interested in volunteering as a Board member please contact:
Tearmann House Executive Director at 902-928-0774 or email email@example.com