How you can support Tearmann:
As a Non-Profit Organization, we depend on community support. One of the ways you can help is by donating to Tearmann Society. As you scroll down this page you will see there are a variety of ways to contribute.
Financial donations can be made online at the following link:
You may also contact Tearmann House:
P.O. Box 153
New Glasgow, NS. B2H 5E2
As of 2015, the core operational funding falls under the direction of Nova Scotia Advisory Council on the Status of Women (NSACSW). This core funding covers approximately 75% of the budget. The remaining 25% is obtained through fundraising efforts of the Tearmann Society Board of Directors and community donations. When you make a financial donation to Tearmann, you are helping to provide additional items that are not necessarily covered by our core funding.
Your contribution could assist with:
- transporting children to school
- assist with boarding pets (it isn't always safe to leave them behind)
- art supplies for group programs
- replacing a mattress
- public education presentations
- purchasing a winter coat or boots
- appliance replacements or upgrades
- sending a child to camp
- special projects and additional programming
Gifts In Memory
Tearmann is grateful to be the recipients of a gift honoring the life of someone who has passed. We are now pleased to be a member of the Leave A Legacy program in Pictou County.
Gifts in Kind
Tearmann provides essential items such as clothing, underwear and toiletries for the women and children we serve, who often need to flee quickly and do not have time to prepare and pack. The needs at the shelter change, so it is best to contact us to ensure that we are able to accept your donation.
Tearmann accepts gently used and new items such as bedding, blankets, towels, small appliances, dishes, pots and pans, clothing, personal care items and on occasion furniture.
To drop off donations, please contact 902-752-1633 and make arrangements with one of our House Counsellors.
Thank You to Doug & Dean Robertson for the generous donation of garden fresh veggies.
Lots of pickling and preserving have been done by staff and residents
during the summers of 2014 & 2015!
Third Party / community Event
A Community Event is defined as one where:
- The event is initiated by an outside party and organized by an individual or group other than staff and board members of Tearmann Society .
- Full or partial proceeds are designated to Tearmann Society.
- The name and/or logo are used in promoting the event.
- Staff involvement is in a support capacity only.
Tearmann would be pleased to offer the following support following approval of your event:
- Make available various promotional materials such as brochures, banners etc.
- Designated staff support based on need and availability.
- Tearmann representation at the event where appropriate and based upon availability.
- Issuing of tax receipts based on CRA and Tearmann's Financial policies only when it has been clearly established prior to the event which items are to be receipted where applicable and at what percentage.
Examples of Third Party or Community Events:
- In lieu of a Birthday gift give a donation to Tearmann event
- Book, Bake and other Item Sales
- Care Package Party
PJ & Buckets Party
Quilts warm our hearts
Tearmann has received countless beautiful quilts from individuals, quilters guilds and women's intitutes throughout Pictou, Antigonish & Guysborough counties. For a number of years, Atlantic Fabrics has hosted an annual quilting bee for Tearmann. Many beautiful quilts have been given out to residents and service users.
We appreciate the dedication of these quilters and their passion to use their talents to help others.
Many groups donate personal care items, food, bedding, towels, etc. throughout the year, We are grateful for the thoughtful and valuable contributions.
Special thanks to the following businesses who donate regularly to Tearmann House.
- Gail's Fashion & Consignment Outlet
Our community truly makes an impact in the lives of women and children who use Tearmann Services. Your generosity has helped enhance our services and make the transition for families much easier. We appreciate your continued support.