Why Women Stay
Tearmann Society recognizes that not all women will leave their relationships. We are not here to judge or to tell someone they should leave an abusive situation. One of our goals is to provide women with their options and empower them to make their own choices. Regardless of the choices made, staff will explore safety concerns and assist with developing a safety plan.
Women will stay in abusive relationships for many reasons such as:
- they love their partner
- they do not want to be alone or are fearful of being alone.
- traditional values from family or church
- hope that her partner will change
- hope for the future
- embarrassment and shame
- afraid to parent alone
- they do not want to leave the home
- her partner threatens to harm her or her children
- her partner threatens to harm pets
- her partner threatens her family
- her partner threatens to hurt or kill himself if she leaves
- she is afraid to leave without her pets
- she doesn't want to "break up the family"
- she feels sorry for her partner
If you are in an abusive relationship and do not feel that you want to leave, you can still access support services from Tearmann. Please call our 24 hour Crisis Line at 902-752-0132.